Sunday, May 17, 2009

Spicy Mac and Cheese

I needed a recipe to take to a potluck with some friends, and I was craving macaroni and cheese. I found the highly-honored version on Molly's blog (myhappymeals.blogspot.com) and the spiced-up version on Shelly's (lovestonom.blogspot.com). This was really, really amazingly good.

Enjoy!

Spicy Macaroni and Cheese
Ingredients:

1 stick of butter
3 cups of milk
3tbsp flour
1/2 cup breadcrumbs
1 lb cooked macaroni
16 oz sharp cheddar cheese in cubes
8 oz swiss cheese in cubes
3 tsp paprika
3 tsp cayenne pepper
2 tsp black pepper
Directions:

In a large saucepan, melt the butter, then add the flour to make a paste. Add the chese, cut into cubes, and the milk. Allow to heat for a few minutes on low-med heat, stirring constnatly. Add the spices before the cheese is completely melted.
Grease a large caserole dish and put the cooked macaroni into it. Once the cheese is completely melted into a sauce, pour the cheese over the cooked macaroni. Top with breadcrumbs and bake for 30 mintues at 350 degrees. 

Enjoy, and have milk nearby!




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed this. Added Bacon. Used Monterrey Jack instead of Swiss and was out of cayenne pepper, so I added Franks red hot (liquid cayenne) to the sauce. Tastes great. Thanks for the recipe

Pancake Bunny

Pancake Bunny
Sometimes, I don't know what I'm doing.