Saturday, February 28, 2009

White Chicken Chili

  • I was talking to a coworker a few weeks ago about chili, and he told me his wife makes an excellent white chili. I love white chili, but I have never attempted it, so I decided to try this one.

It. Is. Amazing. 

Seriously. 

I'm not even going to talk anymore. Go make this. Now. 

White Chicken Chili
Ingredients: 
  • 1 lb chicken breast, raw, cut into small pieces
  • Olive oil
  • 1 small onion, chopped small
  • 2 cloves minced garlic
  • 1 small red pepper, diced
  • 1 can (7oz) green chilis
  • 1 to 2 T diced jalapeno, or more if you're brave
  • 1 1/2 c chicken broth (canned, boulion, whichever you prefer)
  • 1 T cumin
  • 1 1/2 tsp oregano
  • 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes, or more if you like it
  • 2 cans great northern beans, white kidney beans (cannelini beans) or another white bean, drained
  • 1 c sour cream
  • 1 1/2 c shredded colby/jack cheese (you can use just one or both, but I recommend the mix)
Directions: 
I highly recommend gathering the ingredients together before you even turn the stove on. Cut everything up, measure the spices. The cooking itself moves fast, so it is nice to prepare everything.

In a large saucepan or dutch oven, heat a small amount of olive oil. Once heated, add the onions and garlic. Cook until the onions are softer, transparent. Add the chicken and diced red pepper to the mix and cook until the chicken is thoroughly cooked through. 

Add the can of chilis, jalapenos, spices, and chicken broth to the pan. Bring to a hard boil and keep it boiling for 10 minutes. Then add the beans, heating for another 5 minutes. Most of the liquid will be boiled off by this point. You don't want it to be dry, but it should not be like soup. 

Turn off the burner and add the sour cream, mix until blended. Then, add the cheese and mix until the entire thing is smooth.

I served mine with cresent rolls and a dallop of sour cream on the top. It was amazing. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did. Thank you to my coworker's wife!

No comments:

Pancake Bunny

Pancake Bunny
Sometimes, I don't know what I'm doing.