Friday, July 11, 2008

Swedish Meatballs

This is a favorite of mine. I used to buy the packet of spices, but I can't find it anymore. I make them from scratch now, and by god they're good. Enjoy!

Swedish Meatballs
I used my ugly plates. These are why people should buy our china.

For the meatballs:
1.0-1.5 lb ground beef, 90%lean or better
1c breadcrumbs
1 egg
1 tbsp butter, soft
2tbsp dried minced onion
2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
Sale, pepper to taste
2 tsp paprika
Lemon zest (I use lemon pepper seasoning if I have no zest, about 1tbsp)

Olive Oil to cook

For the sauce:
1c milk
1tbsp Worcestershire sauce
Salt, pepper to taste
Flour (to thicken)

  1. Mix 1/2c breadcrumbs and all other ingredients to the meat.
  2. Add additional breadcrumbs as necessary, the mix should be relatively dense to hold meatball shape.
  3. Make 1" meatballs.
  4. Heat oil in pan, add meatballs. Cook about 10 minutes, moving often. Check that the meatballs are cooked thoroughly before moving on.
  5. Remove cooked meatballs and drain on paper towels.
  6. In the same pan, add the ingredients for the sauce. Heat on medium until about to boil, then drop the heat to low until the sauce is thickened.
  7. Add the meatballs back to the pan, cover in sauce.
  8. Serve over rice, egg noodles, or whatever your little heart desires.
Enjoy!

1 comment:

Shelly said...

ummm i think i have those plates....

Pancake Bunny

Pancake Bunny
Sometimes, I don't know what I'm doing.