Friday, December 19, 2008

Snow Day Chili

Today was a snow day! The husband and I both stayed home and enjoyed a bonus day at home, we cleaned, played games, relaxed, and I made chili! I love stews and chilis on snow days, they warm the soul. I've also been on a spicy food kick. 

Here are a few pictures of our snow day: 




Snow Day Chili - in one dis
h!

Ingredients:

1lb ground beef
2 cans diced tomato
1 small can tomato paste + 1/2 that same can of water
2 cans kidney beans (or 1 can kidney, 1 can
 pinto, your call, I just hate pinto beans)
1 tsp trader joe's chili sauce
1 tsp crushed red pepper
1 tbsp chili powder
Black pepper to taste
Garlic, cumin, corriander to taste

Directions:
  1. Brown the ground beef in the same pot you will cook the chili in, and I highly recommend a dutch oven, specifically the enamel covered one from Calphalon. The heavy cast iron allows for very even heating over long periods of time. Plus, since it is enamel coated, you can clean it with soap unlike regular cast iron.
  2. Add the rest of the ingredients, if its too think, use some of the juice from the kidney beans to thin it out. 
  3. Simmer for as long as you can, at least an hour. 
  4. Serve with toppings of your choice, like cheese, sour cream, chives, chopped onion... 





No comments:

Pancake Bunny

Pancake Bunny
Sometimes, I don't know what I'm doing.